Saturday, August 7, 2010

The People

It started with the chick with a pissy face that ran over my feet with her wheeling suitcase on the elevator. I tried to engage her in conversation, after all here we are in NYC at this blog conference together. She pretended that she couldn't hear or pretend I didn't exist. I almost wanted to yell "HELLO I know you can hear me".

Or maybe it was the strange folks I have encountered that have reminded me that I need to put the computer/smart phone down, and join in human interaction. There has been way to many socially awkward encounters, and people rudely trying to pretend to talk to you, while vigorously twittering. No eye contact drive me batty, and there has been little to none up in this joint.

Could be the popular club that is leaving a bad taste in my mouth? People with small blogs thinking they are filling "big" blog shoes, while people with BIG HUGE blogs are humble and kind. It doesn't make sense to me. This shouldn't be a one upper type place, it should be a blogger love fest. At least I envisioned it this way. I just thought I would come here and feel like "these are MY PEOPLE". And the fact is... these SO are not my people, even if we have the same hobby.

Don't get me wrong, I have met some awesome folks along the way that don't drop in any of the above categories. People surprised me. People that have lived on my blog roll for years. I was wrong to assume how anyone would actually BE in person. As, I quickly learned, just cause you read them on the Internet, and know their deepest darkest secrets, does not mean you actually "know them". Nor does it guarantee you will actually LIKE them!

I knew I got all this assumption thing wrong when I was standing at the elevator as Sundry evaluated her welcome package. I thought to myself, the last thing she needs is some other person telling her how much they adore her blog. I don't know, I thought she would be like "oh yeah, great"(while rolling her eyes). So I said nothing, and then she pulled out the free, tacky, "why would anyone spend money making this item", Jimmy Dean clock. And well, I couldn't resist saying something. I smiled at her and said wittily, "Bet you are glad you snagged that item". And then we had a back and forth banter of making fun of this horrible freebee and I thought... this chick is cool shit. I actually like her BETTER then her blog. She even came up with the idea that a sausage should pop out of it when it goes off. I thought she was cool, and honestly if she had only five hits a day, would have thought of her just the same. Sadly, "big timers" like her, aren't exactly hitting up the sessions about how to "go big with your blog", so the down side is, I don't get to socialize with the likes of her, and stuck with the likes of people thinking they are on her type of blogging level when clearly they aren't.

I did get to meet a few great peeps. I especially enjoyed meeting the ONE person (seriously I would walk around with a t-shirt saying I heart Heather) I was absolutely dying to meet, and two other people I have read for years. All of which we warm, kind, and exactly how I anticipated them to be. I even met another "big timer" at a session she spoke in, (I had never read or heard of her before), that was by far the most down to earth cool chick, and I plan to be one of her loyal readers. That chick is SO my people.

I have felt a bit out sorts, and out of my element at times. I have realized I am 1 of thousands of Mommy bloggers out there. And it has made me realize, my blog doesn't have to BE my life, it just should reflect it.

In the end, Bruce Jenner was my favorite meeting. Bruce freaking Jenner talked to me more then most people at my breakfast table, or in line for swag. He isn't even a blogger, he is way more famous then any of us, and yet so much more... down to earth. He even made eye to eye contact, and his cell phone wasn't even in sight.

1 comment:

Blackbeltmama said...

The cell phone thing was funny. My take on the first day, was that there are a lot of really socially awkward people who write blogs. Put them in public and they have no idea how to act.

I'm lucky that the second day got much better for me. Thursday night was ROUGH.