Friday, August 13, 2010

Seasons Change With A Packed Calendar

Every time we drive by our local apple farm, Rylan says with great pride, "Soon it will be apple picking time, and Halloween". He goes into detail about he is going to be "Buzz" this year, and how we are going to paint pumpkins. In June I would have to explain that it was still quite a ways away, but today, it felt like it was right around the corner. Especially after the dream I had, that tomorrow was Halloween and I forgot to order his "Buzz" costume. I think this is stemming from the anxiety that the endless amounts of costume catalogs coming in the mail are giving me. There is something so wrong with living up here in the Northeast, retrieving your mail while in your bathing suit, and noticing your 4th or 5th costume catalog. Where on earth did Summer go?

Don't get me wrong, in the midst of all this humidity I am longing for some Fall breeze, and making pumpkin anything! I actually want to wear a light weight jacket, and be able to open the windows instead of having the central air on 24/7. However, Summer just went by way to fast.

In our last final weeks of Summertime fun, I was on the phone yesterday discussing our plans for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Shocking, I know, and oh so wrong when it is 90 degrees outside. The reason it was a must was because we were planning our "Polar Express" train ride, which is oddly completely booked every Saturday already between Thanksgiving and Christmas. See, I am not the only nut job making holiday plans! So this got the ball rolling about thinking of all the things we will be doing in a blink of an eye: hot chocolate, warm coats & mittens, watching the snow gather on the tree branches without a sign of life of a leaf, book reading about Santa, tree cutting, and so on and so forth. So many days to come when I am praying to see the sun before I have to be put into the mental hospital. Way to many days I will long for shorts and flip flops. Isn't the best day of the year when it is the first day post Winter that you get to bring your kids to the park? You swear you are going to live there for the next 4 months. Yet, that Spring/Summer season is about to close and I can count the number of times we went on one hand.

For one it has been way to freaken hot. Another, Addison is not walking yet and hates to be on the grass, this causes some park malfunctions when Rylan needs assistance. The most important reason for not going is our schedule is just so darn busy. It is also the reason this season seems to have flown by. I never got to make those homemade Popsicles or ice cream. Or have the yard sale I meant to have, or meet up with friends at the sprinkler park . Instead we have been away back to back weekends almost the entire Summer. We have battled many a Summer virus', and spent time trying to play catch up.

This will be the third weekend in a row I have been away, and it doesn't stop there, since next weekend we will be away too. Normally one would be excited about this, but I am exhausted, and just wanting to be home. If you saw my house you would see how it has been neglected all over, and that we clearly have been packing and unpacking all Summer long.

This is how time gets stolen away. This is why I am dreaming about not getting Halloween costumes in time, and why my back is hurting from various mattresses that are unlike my own.

I need a vacation from all the vacations of Summer. I need a vacation home. That place where the heart is, where the mattress is right, and where all of the Halloween decorations will need to come out of storage in less then a few months.

No comments: